Become an Advocate
Advocates are caring volunteers who are committed to providing a voice for the most vulnerable youth in our community: foster children. The role of the volunteer advocate is to ensure the child’s safety and well-being, as well as the physical, emotional, and educational needs are met during one of the most difficult times in their lives.
Inquiry & Application
- Contact for more information, we are more than happy to meet with you to discuss the program and answer any questions you may have
- Visit the FAQs page for additional information, or click for an overview of the program
- Download an application here
- Completed applications may be emailed to Esther Curtice, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org, mailed to the CASA office, located at 440 San Benito Street, Hollister, CA 95023.
Interview & Screening
- When your application has been received, we will contact you to schedule an interview
- Interviews are more personal in nature, and designed to ensure the program is a mutual fit for both the potential advocate and organization
- Please note, CASA is required to complete background and reference checks for all potential volunteers
- Training sessions are general held twice a year, with classes being held in the evenings, twice a week for 5 weeks.
- Training is neither pass or fail, rather, designed to equip volunteers with a thorough understanding of the juvenile dependency system, as well as provide them with the tools and resources to support them in their advocacy work
Court Observation & Oath
- Upon the completion of training, volunteers will observe an afternoon of juvenile dependency proceedings
- At that time, volunteers will also take an oath and be sworn in as officers of the court
Case Review & Assignment
- After volunteers have completed training and taken their oath, they will have the opportunity to read 1 – 2 case files, based on their preferences provided during training.
- Ultimately, the advocate will be able to choose the case they are assigned to
- Once you have selected a case, your Advocate Supervisor will arrange an introduction
- After you have you have been assigned, you will continue to be supported in your advocacy work in a number of ways; please see the FAQs page for more information
Interested in taking the next steps to becoming an advocate? Contact us today at 831-637-4992!